06 April 2008

questions

Ok so I have a real update to come....hopefully tomorrow I will have the final bit of news so I can share with everyone. Till then I will follow in the footsteps of many others of you and post my answers to these questions.
1. How many pups have you raised?
At this point 5 but soon to be 6!! Varsity-guide, Wren-CC'd, Yellsea-retired guide, Mork-s-guide, Glacier- PIT
2. Why did you start raising?
I really wanted a dog of my own but knew that my parents wouldn't let me because I was going to college in a couple of years. I attended March Dog Madness and learned about the Guiding Eye puppy raising program and thought that it would be a perfect option for me and luckily my parents agreed.
3. How long have you been a puppy raiser?
It will be 6 years in May!!
4. What is one thing you have learned in raising?
Many! First responsibility and the meaning of unconditional love. Second everything is better with a puppy. Third confidence in myself, how to interact with people and that I really do know some things!
5. What have your puppies taught you?
Varsity- To view everyday as a new adventure
Wren- Sometimes life has something different in mind for you so always go with the flow you may understand the reasons later on.
Yellsea- Different IS beautiful no matter what people say.
Mork- Its ok to wait for the right person and don't judge a book by its cover
Glacier- Just be yourself people will grow to love you in time
6. What is the strangest thing that someone has asked/ said to you about your puppy?
Either "how does he help you drive?" or "Watch her close or that lady will stuff her and put her on the wall!"- (some random lady at a festival that I went to about a taxidermist friend of mine)
7. Do you give out your puppies real name out in public?
Yep!
8. What is the most embarrassing incident that you've had with your puppy?
Either the time Varsity pooped in Walmart while walking so that I didn't notice in time or the time Wren got loose and noisily went to visit the dog across the street.
9. What is the most proud moment you have had with your puppy?
Varsity, the dog no one had faith in, made it all the way through training and is still working
Wren- when she was able to comfort a graduate at GEB who had just had to put her guide dog, another FBL named Wren to sleep after suffering with cancer...she then decided the next day to come home!
Yellsea- when she found her life calling by being best friends with one very special little boy and his family
Mork- watching him working with Mike and knowing that he was no longer my goofy little boy.
Glacier- the day I went in to the small animal lab at school and despite all the little critters (rats, mice, rabbits, birds, cats etc.) she willingly was able to make the choice to follow me back out of the room instead of chasing something even tho she was very interested
10. What advice do you have for newbie puppy raisers?
It is one of the hardest yet most rewarding thing that you can do. If you are thinking about it go for it! Don't be afraid to ask for help or advice. Hug your puppy often!

No comments: